No doubt about it – motorcycles can be a lot of fun to ride. However, if you live in a cool climate, you will most likely need to figure out a way to store them for the winter. Although it is possible to ride a motorcycle in freezing temperatures, it isn’t a lot of fun. Because of this, most riders choose to store their bikes for the winter and use alternative transportation instead.
How to Store Your Triumph Motorcycle Correctly
Before putting your Triumph motorcycle into storage, however, there are some factors that you need to consider. Here are a few winter bike storage tips to get you started:
- If possible, store your motorcycle indoors. Keeping your bike out of the weather will help it last longer. Ideally, you should store it in a climate-controlled environment. If that isn’t possible, at least try to get it indoors and out of the worst of the weather. If you have to store it outdoors, invest in a custom-fit cover that completely covers the bike.
- Change the oil before you put it away for the winter. This will help ensure that it is ready to ride in the spring.
- Wash your bike to remove any dirt or grime that has accumulated on the road. This will help protect the paint during the winter.
- Fill the gas tank. This will help prevent rust from forming inside the tank, and will also help prevent build-up in the engine.
- Once your bike has been moved to the storage location, use exhaust plugs to block off the mufflers. This will help keep mice or other rodents from nesting in your muffler during the winter.
- Take the battery out of your bike. A small amount of power drains from your battery the entire time it is connected. By removing it and attaching it to a trickle charger, it will be ready to use when the following season rolls around.
- Even if you are storing your bike indoors, you should consider covering it with a motorcycle cover. This will help prevent dust and moisture from affecting the bike while it is in storage, which in turn can minimize the risk of rust or paint damage.
Properly storing your Triumph motorcycle for the winter can help extend its life. By making sure that it is properly cleaned and winterized before you put it away for the season, you can improve your chances of finding it in good enough shape to ride when spring rolls around.